Families » Transition Overview for Families

Transition Overview for Families

Families, you are present in your child's life before, during, and after public schooling, whereas your child's teachers are only involved for a short time. Because of this, you have a very important role during your child’s transition process. When you have a good understanding of transition, you are better able to support your child in developing and implementing a plan to achieve their goals after high school. Although the transition period is an exciting time in your child's life, it is also a time when you may have many questions and concerns about your child's future, including:
  • What happens when my child turns 18 years old?
  • Can my young adult receive accommodations or modifications in college?
  • Are programs available to help my young adult find a job?
  • What community resources are available for adults with disabilities?
  • What should I do if my adult child needs therapy after they graduate?
  • If my child needs 24-hour supervision or care, will I have to quit working to care for my child when they become an adult?
The good news is there are people and organizations to help you and your child with the transition to adult life. For example, every school district in Texas is required to have a Transition and Employment Designee, known as a TED. The TED oversees the transition program at their district or charter school.
The TED contact information (including email and phone number) should be easy to find and publicly available. You should check the TED information listed in the AskTED directory from TEA.

Please note: TED information is no longer available on the Legal Framework website. This information has moved to the AskTED directory 

Next Steps to Independence: Skills and Strategies

Families might use this tool to reflect on their child’s achievements, consider any areas of concern, or collaborate with educators.


TEA’s Early Childhood Special Education webpage

TEA’s Early Childhood Education in Texas webpage